Wednesday 8 February 2012

Golf or Curling?

I've just returned from one of the most interesting games of golf I've ever had. I asked the pro at Ridgeway Golf Club if the course was open AND was it playable. No problem he says, there's been a few out there already. On the way in I had spotted patches of the white stuff out on the course (it is after all up on the Caerphilly Mountain road). This never prepared me for what was to follow. 
Every green was like concrete, and some like ice rinks. Some of the fairways resembled glaciers, and of course, did I have anything other than white golf balls in my bag? Of course not. This was the one day in the year that orange, yellow, blue, anything but white would have been ideal. But, I treated it as a challenge, and actually thoroughly enjoyed this variant of the game. A brush and a curling stone would have been more useful on the greens than a ball and putter. I had the course to myself. Hmmm!! Perhaps there was a reason for that. But, never believe the Ridgeway pro when he tells you the course is playable. Always insist on checking for which sport he means.

No comments: